Why buy handmade?
There is always a reason not to do something, but ignorance shouldn’t be one of them. The concept of hand-made items is not new. In the past, only the rich and wealthy could afford to buy hand-made items. But that’s in the past, now, there is a new era of affordable hand-made items. All around the world aspiring artists are spring up, the range of handmade items available is just mind-boggling!
Here are ten top reasons why you should consider buying hand-made:
1) You are buying a unique item that has been painstakingly created by the artist. Quite often you are buying a one-of a kind item
2) Hand-made items are made with quality materials and excellent craftmanship. For example when you buy a hand-made dress, you are not just buying the dress you are buying the time, effort and skill of the designer
3) It adds a personal touch. It is a wonderful feeling to know that the hand-made necklace you bought was made with love, care and attention. Often time the attention to detail is self-evident
4) It is affordable. Many times people comment that my jewellery collection is pricey but that is because it is being compared to cheaper, low quality, mass-produced items found in the stores. When you compare hand-made items with other designer, high-end items of similar quality, you realise that hand-made items are very affordable.
5) You are paying the artist a compliment. By buying hand-made you are encouraging some-one, inspiring them to continue creating beautiful items
6) You are encouraging entrepreneurial spirit .
7) You are boosting creativity. You inspire the next generation of aspiring craftsmen/women who see the success of other artist and realise that they can also be successful.
8) You are making a statement by saying no to mass-produced low quality goods. You are standing out of the crowd, daring to be different.
9) Its a more personal shopping experience. You are buying directly from the maker not some surly sales-assistant at a large department store!
10) You are investing in the life of the artist. You are given them an opportunity to doing what they love.
So maybe you are giving a thought to hand-made items but haven’t got a clue where to look? These websites are a good starting point (i will not be held responsible for all the time you’ll spend admiring all the gorgeous stuff you will find here!)
3) Ruby lane